Search For Posts

October 1, 2014

Bears Oh My!



 Black bear large.jpg
One day I was going out to my car and a medium sized black bear ran across my driveway and over by a tree not more than ten feet from me. It certainly startled me. Thankfully, he was as scared of me as I was of him and he sat down and watched me get inside the safety of my car and most fortunately our paths were no longer contiguous. The odds of him being there when I came out of the house were miniscule, but that is how life is. No matter how small the odds, there is always the possibility of something occurring, something we could not see taking place. We would be wise to be prepared for such possibilities; not to dwell on the improbable, but to at least be somewhat prepared for the improbable. We should always be alert to our surroundings, not lost in some meaningless thoughts. It is better to surprise by being ready, than be the one who gets surprised and has no plan. The Dao is full of surprises to only those who are unprepared.